Recently an incident arose in Vienna that caught my attention. Apparently, a worker at an upscale Spa was arrested and charged with sexual battery on a client. Assault of any sort is a horrible experience. This is especially so when it occurs in a place of business where you go to relax and should be able to feel safe.
Unfortunately, assaults like the one on this poor spa patron are all too common. Innocent people are often the victims of unprovoked crimes. If you are ever unfortunate enough to find yourself in a situation like this, there are certain steps you must take to protect yourself and your future legal rights.
Today we’re going to review these steps in case you or someone you love is ever in this distressing situation.
- First, get to safety! If you’re in danger or if you’re injured, remove yourself from the situation if you can, call for help, or get help as soon as you can. Call the police and emergency services.
- Document your injuries and make sure you promptly receive medical attention. This is important for so many reasons, mainly your health, but also to create a record of the incident which can become valuable evidence later on.
- Once you are safe, report the assault to the management or the appropriate authorities within the business. Provide a detailed account of the incident, including any witnesses present. Request a written copy of the incident report for your records.
- Preserve Evidence if you can. Take pictures of your visible injuries and the location where the assault occurred. If there are any security cameras in the vicinity, request a copy of the footage.
- Collect important information related to the incident, such as the names and contact details of witnesses, the involved employee’s name, and any other relevant details. These pieces of information can be valuable for your personal injury claim.
- Consult with an Experienced Personal Injury Attorney. We will guide you through the legal process, ensure your rights are protected, and help you pursue a fair settlement. We can assess your case, gather evidence, communicate with insurance companies and the defendant’s legal representation, and advocate for your best interests.
If you’ve suffered physically, emotionally, or financially due to the assault, you may be entitled to compensation for medical expenses, lost wages, pain and suffering, and other damages.
Businesses have a duty to provide a safe environment for their customers. If the business failed in their duty by hiring an employee with a violent history or neglecting to address previous complaints, they may be held liable for their negligence.
An experienced personal injury attorney will gather and analyze evidence, interview witnesses, consult with experts if necessary, and build a strong case on your behalf. We will fight for your rights, negotiate with insurance companies, and, if required, take your case to trial to fight to see you compensated for what you’ve endured.
Experiencing assault by an employee at a place of business is traumatic and unexpected. Understanding your legal rights and taking the necessary steps to protect yourself and seek justice is important and will help in your recovery process. You don’t have to face the aftermath of an assault alone – we can help you through this challenging time.
If you or someone you love is ever injured by an employee at a place of business, I urge you to call my office. With over forty years’ experience handling personal injury claims, we are ready to help you in every way we can.
Until next time, please be safe, and NEVER text while driving!
Attorney Paul Samakow
703-761-4343 or 301-949-1515.