I look at the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) and the Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) recall reports. I look out for defective products or vehicles the public needs to know about and highlight them in the blogs and newsletters I share here with you.

Recently, the number of bloody and bizarre injuries caused by malfunctioning products and vehicles makes me feel like I’m living in a Stephen King novel.  There have been reports of malfunctioning woodchippers ejecting lethal shards of metal at their user’s faces, vehicles catching fire while drivers are trapped behind the wheel, and plastic toy sharks actually biting, leaving children screaming for their parents while holding up bloodied fingers.

Unfortunately, injuries from unsafe products and vehicles are all too common, if not quite so bizarre.  Each year, thousands are harmed, and some are killed by a malfunctioning or unsafe product or vehicle. This is one of the reasons it’s so important to take the time to register a new purchase with the manufacturer. This way, you’ll know if something you rely on is deemed unsafe.

Still, what do you do if you’re one of the first harmed by a malfunctioning product or vehicle?

You must take specific steps that protect your rights, help you get medical treatment, and grant you access to the resources you need.

  1. First, seek Medical Attention. If you’re injured, in pain, or in distress, call emergency services and get checked out by a medical professional.


  1. Preserve any evidence related to the defect that caused your injury. Take pictures of the defect and the injuries. DO NOT SEND THE PRODUCT BACK TO THE MANUFACTURER OR SELLER!


  1. Take detailed notes about the incident, including the date, time, location, and a description of what happened. These notes can serve as valuable evidence.


  1. Notify the NHTSA or CPSC about what happened. Reporting the incident ensures there’s an official record of the event and can help keep other users safe.


  1. Notify the manufacturer, place of purchase, or dealership about the defect and the resulting incident. Keep records of your communications and any responses you receive.


  1. Maintain a record of all the expenses related to your injuries. This includes medical bills, rehabilitation costs, lost wages, and any other financial losses incurred because of the incident.


  1. Call me. I’ll review your claim, provide guidance, assess the strength of your case, and help in every way I can.

To wrap this up, if you or someone you love is ever injured due to a defect in a product or vehicle, please reach out to my office at 703-761-4343 and 301-949-1515.  With over forty years of experience handling personal injury claims, I’m ready to help you in every way I can.

Until next time, please be safe, and NEVER text while driving!

Paul Samakow

Attorney Paul Samakow

WordPress Video Lightbox Plugin