As someone who has enjoyed cycling on many occasions in my life, I know firsthand how dangerous it can be to cycle on the roads. Even with proper safety gear and following all the rules, bicyclists are still at a higher risk for being involved in a collision and seriously injured or killed.
This brings up the subject of today’s blog. It’s crucial for everyone on the road to prioritize safety and awareness when it comes to sharing the road with bicyclists. Today I’m here to share some tips for both drivers and cyclists that will help us share the road as safely and with as little risk and aggravation as possible:
- Give bicyclists plenty of space. When passing a bicyclist, leave at least three feet of space between you and the cyclist. This will help prevent any accidents or collisions.
- Be patient. Bicyclists simply can’t move as quickly as cars, especially if they’re going uphill or facing a headwind. Remember to stay patient and give them time to get where they need to go.
- Check your blind spots. Bicycles can be harder to spot than cars, especially if they’re riding in your blind spot. Always double-check your mirrors and look over your shoulder before changing lanes or turning.
- Wear proper safety gear. Always wear a helmet and reflective clothing when cycling on the roads. This will help you stay visible and protect you in case of an accident.
- Follow the rules of the road. Just like drivers, cyclists need to follow the rules of the road to stay safe. This includes stopping at stop signs and red lights, using hand signals when turning, and riding with traffic (not against it).
- Stay visible. Make sure you have lights and reflectors on your bicycle, especially if you’re riding at night. This will help drivers see you and avoid any dangerous missteps.
Even with these precautions, collisions on the road can still happen. If you’ve been injured by a motorist while riding a bicycle, it’s important to know your rights and options.
The best personal injury attorney will be ready to help if you’re injured by another vehicle while riding a bicycle. At my law office, we will help you get medical care for your injuries and negotiate with the insurance adjuster for fair compensation for your personal injury claim.
A win for you will mean more than medical care and a financial settlement. By filing your claim, you are holding the at fault party accountable and possibly preventing a future collision that could cause further injuries or loss of life. By filing a personal injury claim, you’re not just helping yourself – you’re helping to create safer roads for everyone.
Lastly, if you or someone you love is ever injured by a negligent driver, please call my office immediately at 703-761-4343 or 301-949-1515. We can assist you with getting the medical care you need.
With over forty years’ experience handling personal injury claims, we are ready to help you in every way we can.
Until next time,
Please be safe, and NEVER text while driving!
Attorney Paul Samakow