Hello Folks, Attorney Paul Samakow here.
Today’s blog is one I’ve covered in the past but it bears repeating. And that is to review what you need to know and must do if you’re in an auto collision.
I cover this topic a lot. Why? Because it’s something I hope I drill into your mind – that way if you’re ever in an auto collision – this information will be there waiting for you.
Most people can tell you exactly what to do if your clothes catch fire.
You STOP. DROP. And ROLL.
I want you to have top of mind awareness of what you should do if you’re ever in an auto collision.
So here goes. These are the top six things you must do if you’re involved in an auto collision.
- First, check for injuries. Make sure everyone is ok. Call 911 and ask for a police officer to come to the scene and an ambulance if you suspect, you, your passengers or anyone involved is seriously injured.
- Move to a safe location if possible. The last thing you want to do is cause a second accident and risk further injury or death by obstructing the road.
- Exchange information. Take a picture with your phone of all parties’ driver’s licenses and insurance cards when possible. Be sure to get everyone’s names, addresses, and phone numbers as well. Jot down license plate numbers, and the make, model and description of all cars involved. All this information will become vital as a personal injury claim develops later on.
- Document the accident. Take photos of the damaged vehicles, any property damage that resulted from the wreck, traffic signals and stop signs. And be sure to ask if any drivers or witnesses had dash cam footage of the wreck.
- Be sure to notify your insurance company as soon as possible. Be ready to give them the facts and only the facts. Do not agree to a recorded statement. Do not volunteer your opinions or any unnecessary comments. Be ready with the names and policy numbers of the parties involved and then politely end the call.
- Lastly, if you or someone you love is ever involved in an auto collision, call my office immediately 703-854-9288 or 301-298-838 Navigating a personal injury claim can be a daunting task. We will help you get the medical care you need and fight to see you are fairly compensated for your injury and loss.
Until next time,
Please be safe, and NEVER text while driving!
Attorney Paul Samakow